Saturday, August 31, 2013

Hungarian Cooking Class: Gulyás and Lángos

Today's menu: Gulyás and Lángos

In English I say Goo-law-sh and Lang-go-sh 

BUT.... I'm super awesomely great at butchering every language I ever try! ~ GO ME! 


Prep work, Grating cheese for the Langos.


Chopping Onions for the Gulyas.


Pork


Brown onions then add pork and brown


Tomatoes & Hungarian Peppers 


Paprika 


Add tomatoes & peppers


Sweet Paprika & Caraway


Add Water, Chicken & Veg Broth


Potatoes


Celery Root, Carrot, & Parsley Root


Inside of the Celery root, You want to chop off about an inch more of this and remove the outer 
?skin, peal, rind?
Then chop the 1 inch piece into a few large chunks~ its used as a flavoring. 
I did take a bit of it after it was cooked and it was good. 
If you wanted you could do smaller chunks and eat it in the soup.


Time to make the noodles ~ this is an all purpose flour



Just the yoke



Anita was amazing at this~ she took the dough and quickly made little 
tiny noodles that she threw in the flour to keep from sticking to one another. 



Ronnie and I

Then I tried~ I was MUCH slower & messier!!!! 
Anita said she was that slow too~ when she was 15 and just learning 
with her grandmother~ who was so fast. I guess I need to practice! 



The finished noodles


Getting the potatoes ready! 


Yeast rising for the Langos


Flour & Salt


Sorry it's blurry ~ it needed to be kneaded and that's hard fast work


All the veggies have been added and its simmering


It looks good! 


Last thing to add is the noodles cook and serve 


The Langos has risen and is ready to fry up.


Place it on a plate with a little oil


and stretch it out


fry in oil 


YUMMY!!! Its almost like a savory elephant ear


Baste with butter & Garlic


I only like cheese on mine....


But typically you also put sour cream


and Cheese


Our Meal~ It was so good! I had a bowl of extra I took home and ate the next day
its was really good the next day too when the flavors had time to sit.
I cant wait to make this again! Anita says she makes up a pot about once a month a 
freezes the extras. What a great Idea! :) Guylas when ever I want!!! LOL


Later in the evening the family and I went out for Dessert-

The Hungarians just celebrated St. Stephen's Day on Aug 20th
I truthfully haven't learned enough to tell you what it is.
But its a big celebration some say is equivalent to our 4th of July.
Each year before the 20th the hold a contest for a cake of the year.
This is the cake for this year(left) and then they make a diabetic cake too.

It was really good! The diabetic one~ not so much....
I have heard others say they liked it.... My family did not.



Honey Cake - Goes really well with a Cappuccino 


Fruit Flavored Cake

No comments:

Post a Comment