Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Black Bean Chili & Celery Almond Soup

I saw this recipe yesterday......

http://www.blogher.com/frame.php?url=http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/02/recipe-for-spicy-vegan-black-bean-soup.html

It looked amazing! But I just felt it was missing something~ I didn't feel that it was main dish worthy~ more of a side. I wanted a black bean main dish meal for tonight's dinner.

This is what I created~ (Besides the crock pot time), this meal took about 30 min from start to finish.

1 1/2 Cups Black beans Soaked over night.
Drain and cook with water and sea salt in a crock pot from about 9 am till 5pm ish.


Take 1/2 your beans and mash leave the other 1/2 in juices



Saute your veggies ( I don't use oil)
I used:
Handful baby carrots 
1/2 and onion
6 yellow 7 orange sweet mini peppers
1 stalk of celery
(above chopped small)
2 handfuls of frozen organic corn
1 sm zucchini diced
1/2 jalapeno seeded & diced (small)


Add mashed beans & whole beans with juices to veggies


Spices:
2t Chili Powder
1/4 t crushed red pepper ~ use more if you like heat, my kids don't
1 t onion powder
1 t garlic powder
1 t cumin
3 shakes parsley
salt to taste
3 shakes of basil
Black pepper to taste



Stir.....


1/2 a fresh chopped tomato


Stir


This is nutritional yeast~ Not the kind you would use in bread.
I watch a video where they described using it like cheese, on salads, popcorn ect.
I have never had it before tonight~ it has 8g of protein for 2 T.


So we sprinkled a little on our chili to try it out~ It was GOOD
I also added some fresh avocado to my chili.
Kids gave this meal 5stars, Gunner even had seconds!



Jared made us baked sweet potato fries (no oil)


Dipped in unsweetened Ketchup! :) 


Yesterday for lunch: I made Celery Almond Soup~ Its smooth and fresh tasting like tomato soup


More Veggies is always better~ I find myself adding veggies to everything now.
Here I have red & yellow sweet mini peppers, corn, onion, cabbage



Then in my Vitamix I put in:
1/4 C Blanched (skins taken off) Raw Almond
3 C Veggie Broth
6 Stalks Celery Halved
1/8 of a lemon peel removed
Salt & pepper
But it all in the blender and creme
My blender will cook the soup if yours dose not then after it is a consistency 
like tomato soup remove and heat in a pan

Pour in bowls and top with veggies, I also added Avocado. 


I didn't put the veggies in the kids, they weren't in the mood for that
plus I made the veggies spicy with lots of chili seasoning. 


Caden says 5 Star, Gunner was more of a 3 Star









No comments:

Post a Comment