Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Budapest- Budavari Siklo, Chain Bridge, Shoes on The Danube, & Indian Food.


Token Car Shot~ 


Waiting on dad to put $$$ in the meter


We need to be on the other side of that wall~ Lets climb some stairs! 




Map of the area we are exploring. Pink dot is where we start...




Beautiful Church~ I loved the tile roof






My friend Heather told me to keep my eye out on the buildings.
Many of them are still damaged from WWII.

In my "expert" opinion, I would say this would be one of the buildings. 





Spectacular Views




Its a Cable car~ we are going to ride it down, cross that bridge (on foot)
and walk the Danube to a Holocaust Memorial. 


Chain Bridge



There goes a cable car, it has 3 compartments each hold 4 people. As it goes down it pulls the other one up. 





Here is the cable wheel that helps pull up the cars.




Getting in our car~ They wanted to sit in the top one, which didn't have a very good view.


He is so excited! Sorry for the color~ Lighting was hard in there...




Gunner found a trap door


Going Down......



Looking back up.


Passing the other car.






A tunnel


Crossing the Chain Bridge


Looking back at the train


Danube~ We drove over that bridge latter on in the day.


Lions all over the bridge.







I would Google translate but its in Hebrew, and I don't have those characters on my phone.

Shoes on the Danube:
Was built as a memorial to the Jewish people who were ordered to take off there shoes along the river.
They were then executed and pushed into the river. 



Why are stones left around the shoes?

What I found online: 
(not my words)
"In ancient times, Jews buried their dead beneath markers made of gathered stones. Placing a stone on a
grave symbolically contributes to the tombstone.

For some people, placing a stone on a grave is equal to the gesture of leaving flowers. Placing a stone pays
tribute to the dead and leaves the mark of one's visit.

While flowers symbolize life's beauty and evanescence, stones symbolize the longevity of memory. By
placing a stone on a grave, we enact our long-term commitment to remembering the dead.

At the end of the film "Schindler's List," Holocaust survivors and the actors who played them in the film are
shown placing stones on the gravesite of Oskar Schindler."


I think the child's shoes are the most heartbreaking....





Time to head back across the bridge.


I would call this a Hungarian Crest, but I'm not sure that's what they would call it. 


More Lions~ He doesn't look Happy....


Gunner said look Mom a little mouse or pidgin bridge! 


It was down under the main walkway.


I love the details they add~ its so beautiful! 


Sail boats! I wish it had been a sunnier day~ oh well! 


Different angle of the tunnel and cable car




Time to go up.......



This time we took the bottom level, much better view! :) 




A government building with Guards~ Jared didn't think they were real at first. 



They did a changeing of the guard while we were there. 





Jared needs to make a phone call......


I'm not sure hes doing this right?!?!?!?!?





Gunners favorite part of the model.







If you gave him money you could hold his bird..... 




This was my favorite set of buildings~ I loved the colors and the design. 


This guy was playing a fake violin and making violin sounds with his mouth~ it was kinda funny.
If I had change I would have given him some just for his creativity! LOL 



Ok this was pretty cool too......


Back side of the first church  I posted.




More of the building I liked... This part of it was a restaurant. 


Back down the stairs to the car.... so we can go to lunch.
I found a Indian restaurant on Tripadvisor that had good reviews! 
I was so excited~ we LOVED going out for Indian food in Washington. 




The kids got a Cashew Korma


I got Veggie Curry Balls


Jared got Lamb something or other...


Plain, Garlic & Fruit & Nut Nann 


Then to finish of our day we stopped and got a Frapachino & a Hot Latte....






No comments:

Post a Comment